From VE Day until early October 1945, the Battalion engaged in reorganization and training, a large portion of the Battalion attending the Military Police School at Bar-Le-Duc, France. During this period there were many personnel changes in the Battalion, as "high point" Soldiers left for the States and were replaced by "low point" Soldiers. The Battalion was tentatively scheduled for duty in the Pacific theater, then for re-deployment, but finally in mid-October 1945, the 759th Military Police Battalion was chosen for what was considered the prize assignment of the occupation, relocation to the city of Berlin. The Battalion coined the phrase "Law East of the Elbe," that lasted until the US occupation ended in 1989 after the collapse of the Berlin Wall.
By the end of October 1945, the move to Berlin was completed and the 759th Military Police Battalion relieved the 713th Military Police Battalion of duty. Headquarters, A, and C Companies were billeted at 86-89 Kaiserallee, B Company at 10 Geygerstrasse, and D Company at 10 Scharfestrasse. Companies A, B, and D were the patrol companies and Company C was the service company, furnishing all escorts, the interior guard for the Command Post and maintaining the Motor Pool at Kaiserallee. In April 1947, the Battalion moved to Roosevelt Barracks. The 4 line companies were assigned patrol areas and the Headquarters and Headquarters Company personnel assumed responsibility for escorts, special details and operation of the Military Police District Headquarters. One of the initial duties assigned to the Battalion was the training and equipping of a cadre of German police. The Battalion kitchens also fed the local populace and organized German American Youth Clubs. The Battalion was reorganized and redesignated on 17 September 1947 as the 759th Military Police Service Battalion.
In 1948, the Battalion assisted in the Berlin Airlift during the Soviet blockade of the city. The Battalion served so well during the blockade of the city, that the memorial "Luftbrucke," which was subsequently built to commemorate the event, was included on the Distinctive Unit Insignia of the 759th Military Police Battalion.
In August 1949, the 513th Military Police Service Platoon and the 18th Military Police Service Platoon were formed into a provisional company and designated Company E, 759th Military Police Battalion, with duties of interior guard of the Berlin Military Police Headquarters Compound.
In March 1950, the Battalion prepared to move from Roosevelt Barracks to McNair Barracks in the city of Berlin. A Company made the initial move on 29 March 1950. The movement of the entire Battalion was not completed until 11 June 1950. At that time all company messes were abolished and a Battalion Consolidated Mess, which had been partially operating since 28 April 1950, was officially established.
The Battalion Motor Pool was established in Andrews Barracks and remained the motorpool for the Military Police until the inactivation of Berlin Brigade. Early in March 1950, the Battalion was relieved of some of its military police commitments by Company C, 382nd Military Police Service Battalion, stationed in Bremerhaven, Germany; the 526th Military Police Service Company, stationed in Hanau, Germany; and the 511th Military Police Service Platoon, stationed in Mannheim, Germany. These organizations, augmented by the 513th and 18th Military Police Service Platoons, assumed the military police functions of Berlin Military Post, and the Battalion went into intensive tactical training. On 1 June 1950, the Battalion resumed its police duties in Berlin.
On 20 November 1950, the 18th and 513th Military Police Service Platoons were inactivated and the 759th Military Police Service Battalion was reorganized and redesignated as the 759th Military Police Battalion under modified versions of TOEs 19-55, 19-56, 19-57, less Company D. On 24 November 1950, the Horse Platoon, previously attached to the 16th Constabulary Squadron was inactivated and personnel and all equipment were transferred to the 759th Military Police Battalion. The personnel remained intact as a Provisional Horse Platoon with authorization for one officer, 37 soldiers and 52 horses.
In addition to the Battalion's primary military function of policing Berlin, it also operated the Post Provisional Guardhouse, and 2 checkpoints on the corridor through the Soviet Zone. One checkpoint was located at the Hemelin Bridge (Check Point Bravo) in Berlin and the other was at Helmstedt, Germany (Check Point Alpha, within the British Sector of Northern Germany). A Highway Patrol Section with 3 patrol sedans patrolled the corridor from Berlin to Helmstedt. The Battalion was formally allotted on 26 November 1952 to the Regular Army and was inactivated on 1 November 1953 in Germany..
Coat Of Arms
Per saltire Vert and Or, in chief three fleurs-de-lis two and one of the second; in dexter a palm tree Proper; in sinister, the Airlift Monument Proper; and in base, three fleur-de-lis one and two of the second.
From a wreath Or and Vert a towered gateway of the first superimposed by a laurel wreath Proper enclosing a fleur-de-lis Azure; perched upon the gateway a bald eagle, wings displayed and inverted Proper.
TENEZ LA PORTE (Hold the Gate).
The colors green and yellow are for the Military Police. The organization's World War II service in the European Theater is symbolized by the fleurs-de-lis and in North Africa by the palm tree. The Airlift Monument, erected in the Western Sector of Berlin, is used to represent the 759th Military Police Battalion's participation in the Berlin Airlift.
The Military Police branch is represented by the colors, green and yellow (gold). The fortified gateway and the eagle on guard upon it refer to the unit motto, Tenez La Porte, meaning "Hold the Gate, Door or Entrance." The eagle symbolizes the United States, its interest and security. The gateway also refers to fortified Europe during World War II during which the unit participated with distinction in operations in Italy, France, the Rhineland and Central Europe. The fleur-de-lis recalls specifically action in Southern France, for which the unit gained particular note. The wreath signifies honor and achievement. Gold denotes excellence.
The coat of arms was originally approved on 2 Oct 1952. It was amended to add a crest on 13 Sep 1999.