History of Turner Tankers
HEAVY TANK CO. 6TH INF.REGT. DEPLOYED FROM VILSECK, GERMANY ON 13 JAN 1951, LOADING EQUIPEMENT AND PERSONNEL, UNIT DEPARTED VILSECK, GERMANY BY RAIL AT 0650 HRS,14 JANUARY 1951,ARRIVING AT BERGEN,GERMANY AT 2100 HRS, DEPARTING AT 1500 HRS 15 JANUARY 1951 AND ARRIVED AT CELLE,GERMANY AT 1600 HRS WHERE THEY REMAINED OVERNIGHT UNIT MOVED TO BERLIN,GERMANY, ARRIVING AT 0907 HRS.16 JANUARY 1951,BILLETED AT ANDREWS BARRACKS.MORNING REPORT INDICATES STARTED USUAL ORGANIZATIONAL DUTIES WITH WEATHER GOOD AND MORALE EXCELLENT.
ON 20 SEP 1951 UNIT MOVED TO NEW BILLETS LOCATED AT COORDINATES 5M9967, MAP TOWN PLAN, BERLIN,GY.1;20,000.THIS ULTIMATELY WAS NAMED TURNER BARRACKS
UNIT REDESIGNATED AS CO F.40TH ARMOR EFFECTIVE 1 JUNE 1958,
DURING THE 1980S IT BECAME PART OF THE COMBAT SUPPORT BATTALION, ON 26 OCTOBER 1990 CSB BECAME 6TH BATTALION, 40TH ARMOR SPLIT INTO CO D AND CO F, 6TH BN.40TH ARMOR,THEN DUE TO CHANGES IN THE COMMAND OF BERLIN BDE. ULTIMATELY BECAME CO A,(ORIG CO.D) AND CO B.(ORIG CO F), 6TH BATTALION, 40TH ARMOR
The 40th Armor Regiment (By Force and Valor) was formally activated on 25 March 1988 in Berlin,
and General William A. Knowlton, USA, Ret., shown standing on an M60A3 tank, at right, was named Honorary Colonel.
The 40th Armor Regiment was constituted on 13 January 1941 at Camp Beauregard, LA, and fought with distinction in WW II in
Europe. The 40th Tank Battalion saw heavy action at St. Vith during the Battle of the Bulge, and the 709th Tank Battalion won the
Presidential Unit Citation for its actions at Hurtgen Forest and on the Brandenburg Bergstein Ridge.
The 40th returned to the States in July 1945 and was inactivated on 22 February 1946 at Camp Kilmer NJ. It was reactivated on 25
June 1948 and assigned to the 40th Infantry Division, at Fort Ord, CA. Subsequently, it served at Fort Benning, GA, Fort Knox, KY,
and in Alaska. Company F, 40th Armor Regiment, was assigned to the U.S. -Army in Berlin in May 1958 and is the only American
armor unit east of the Elbe River. It is the Army’s largest independent tank company in service today.
Attending the ceremonies were, among others, General Knowlton; Brigadier General C.G. Marsh, commander of the Berlin Brigade;
and Major Emerson J. Wolfe, USA, Ret., a distinguished member of the regiment